- Boil a small pot of water. When the water is boiling, add the sago. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Occasionally stir the sides and bottom of the pot to prevent sticking.
- After 10 minutes, the sago had turned partially translucent but you can still see some white dots. Turn off the flame.
- Cover the pot with lid. Let it stand for 10 minutes. The sago will continue cooking by itself.
- After the standing time of 10 minutes, the sago will turn fully translucent.
- Rinse the cooked sago through a sieve and running water. This will remove the excess starch.
- Keep sago in a bowl of water until ready to use.
- Add drained prepared sago to cooked Chinese desserts such as red bean soup.